Open as PDF
13 - ENG
Clean Pre-Cleaner and Air Cleaner Cartridge
Your engine is equipped with an oval dual element air
cleaner: the two elements include a foam pre-cleaner
and an air cleaner cartridge.
• To remove the air cleaner element, loosen two cover
screws and lift cover. Carefully remove foam pre-
cleaner and air cleaner cartridge.
• To clean pre-cleaner and air cleaner cartridge,
wash in liquid detergent and water. Allow to dry
thoroughly before using. Do not oil the precleaner
or cartridge. Replace if very dirty or damaged.
• After cleaning the pre-cleaner and air cleaner
cartridge, replace pre-cleaner on air cleaner car-
• Install air cleaner assembly (pre-cleaner and
cartridge) in base. Then install cover on air cleaner
and tighten screws securely to base.
Clean and Replace Spark Plug
Change the spark plug every 100 hours of operation or
once each year, whichever comes first. This will help
your engine to start easier and run better.
.030” (0.76 MM)
NOTE: Do not use petroleum solvents, e.g., kerosene,
which will cause the cartridge to deteriorate. Do not
use pressurized air to clean cartridge. Pressurized air
can damage the cartridge.
Changing Engine Oil
• Change oil while engine is still warm. Preferably
drain oil from top of engine as illustrated below.
Drain oil with air cleaner side up. Oil can be
drained from engine bottom if necessary.
IMPORTANT: Before tipping engine or equipment to
drain oil, drain fuel from tank by running engine until
fuel tank is empty.
• To drain oil from bottom of engine, remove drain
plug as illustrated below. Allow oil to drain and
replace drain plug. Remove dipstick and
refill with new oil of recommended grade. Start and
run engine at idle for 30 seconds.
• Stop engine. Wait 30 seconds and re-check oil
level. If required, add oil to bring level to FULL
mark on dipstick.
Check Engine — Finger Guard/Muffler
• Do not clean engine with a forceful spray of water
because water could contaminate fuel system.
With a brush or cloth, clean any debris from finger
guard after every use to prevent engine damage
caused by overheating.
• Before running engine, clean muffler area to
remove all grass and combustible debris.