Open as PDF
• DO NOT FORCE THE TOOL – at a rate faster than the rate at which it is able to cut
• USE THE RIGHT TOOL – Do not use this tool for any job except that for which it is intended.
• DON’T OVERREACH – Keep proper footing and balance at all times.
• DON’T ABUSE CORD – Don’t yank cord from power supply. Keep cord from heat, oil,
and sharp edges.
• DAMAGE TO UNIT – If you strike or become entangled with a foreign object, stop tool
immediately, unplug, check for damage and have any damage repaired before further
operation is attempted. Do not operate with a broken hub or spool.
• DAMAGE TO CORD – Keep power cord away from rotating line. If you damage the cord,
unplug it from the power supply before moving the tool or examining the damage. A
damaged cord must be replaced before further use.
• DISCONNECT TOOL – when not in use, when replacing line, or prior to cleaning.
• AVOID DANGEROUS ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS – Do not use electric tools in
damp or wet locations. Follow all instructions in this Instruction Manual for proper
operation of your tool. Don’t use the tool in the rain.
• DO NOT OPERATE portable electric tools in gaseous or explosive atmospheres. Motors
in these tools normally spark, and the sparks might ignite fumes.
• STORE IDLE TOOLS INDOORS – When not in use, tools should be stored indoors in a
dry, locked-up place out of reach of children.
• GROUND FAULT CIRCUIT INTERRUPTER (GFCI) protection should be provided on the
circuits or outlets to be used for the gardening appliance. Receptacles are available
having built in GFCI protection and may be used for this measure of protection.
• SECURE EXTENSION CORD using the cord retainer shown in Figure 7.
• STAY ALERT – Watch what you are doing. Use common sense. Do not operate tool
when you are tired.
• MAINTAIN APPLIANCES WITH CARE – Follow instructions in maintenance section.
Inspect extension cords periodically and replace if damaged. Keep handles dry, clean and
free from oil and grease.
• CHECK DAMAGED PARTS – Before further use of the appliance, a guard or other part
that is damaged should be carefully checked to determine that it will operate properly and
perform its intended function. Check for alignment of moving parts, binding of moving
parts, breakage of parts, mounting, and any other condition that may affect its operation.
A guard or other part that is damaged should be properly repaired or replaced by an
authorized service center unless otherwise indicated elsewhere in this manual.
WARNING: When servicing double insulated tools, USE ONLY IDENTICAL
REPLACEMENT PARTS. Replace or repair damaged cords.
WARNING: To prevent electrical shock hazard, use only with an extension cord
suitable for outdoor use. Always connect extension cords to a fused line or one protected
by a circuit breaker.
ADDITIONAL WARNINGS FOR STRING TRIMMERS
1. DO NOT immerse tool in water or squirt it with a hose. DO NOT allow any liquid to get
2. Do not store the tool on or adjacent to fertilizers or chemicals.
3. DO NOT clean with a pressure washer.
SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS: POLARIZED PLUGS
To reduce the risk of electric shock, this equipment has a polarized plug (one blade is wider
than the other) and will require the use of a polarized extension cord. The appliance plug
will fit into a polarized extension cord only one way. If the plug does not fit fully into the
extension cord, reverse the plug. If the plug still does not fit, obtain a correct polarized
extension cord. A polarized extension cord will require the use of a polarized wall outlet.
This plug will fit into the polarized wall outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit fully into
the wall outlet, reverse the plug. If the plug still does not fit, contact a qualified electrician to
install the proper wall outlet. Do not change the equipment plug, extension cord receptacle,
or extension cord plug in any way.
SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS: EXTENSION CORDS
Make sure your extension cord is in good condition. When using an extension cord, be sure
to use one heavy enough to carry the current your product will draw. An undersized cord will
cause a drop in line voltage resulting in loss of power and overheating. The table shows the
correct size to use depending on cord length and nameplate ampere rating. If in doubt, use
the next heavier gauge. The smaller the gauge number, the heavier the cord. If the
extension will be used outside, the cord must be suitable for outdoor work. The letters “WA”
on the cord jacket indicate that the cord is suitable for outdoor use.
Cat No. GH700, GH750 Form No. 90524916 Rev. 1 Oct. 2007
Copyright © 2007 Black & Decker Printed in China
WARNING: IMPORTANT SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS
TO REDUCE RISK OF INJURY:
• Before any use, be sure everyone using this tool reads and understands all safety
instructions and other information contained in this manual.
• Save these instructions and review frequently prior to use and in instructing others.
WARNING: When using electric gardening appliances, basic safety precautions should
always be followed to reduce risk of fire, electric shock, and personal injury, including the
WARNING: Some dust created by this product contains chemicals known to the State
of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. Some examples
of these chemicals are: • compounds in fertilizers
• compounds in insecticides, herbicides and pesticides
• arsenic and chromium from chemically treated lumber
To reduce your exposure to these chemicals, wear approved safety equipment such as
dust masks that are specially designed to filter out microscopic particles.
WARNING: This product contains chemicals, including lead, known to the State of
California to cause cancer, and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands
READ AND UNDERSTAND ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING.
SAFETY GUIDELINES - DEFINITIONS
It is important for you to read and understand this manual.
The information it contains relates to protecting YOUR SAFETY and PREVENTING
PROBLEMS. The symbols below are used to help you recognize this information.
DANGER: Indicates an imminently hazardous situation which, if not avoided, will result
in death or serious injury.
WARNING: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided, could result
in death or serious injury.
CAUTION: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided, may result
in minor or moderate injury.
CAUTION: Used without the safety alert symbol indicates a potentially hazardous situation
which, if not avoided, may result in property damage.
GENERAL SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL
• ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION – Wear safety spectacles or goggles at all times
when this tool is plugged in.
• GUARD – Do not use this tool without guard attached.
• DRESS PROPERLY – Do not wear loose clothing or jewelry. They can be caught in
moving parts. Rubber gloves and substantial rubber soled footwear are recommended
when working outdoors. Don’t operate the tool when barefoot or wearing open sandals.
Wear long pants to protect your legs. Wear protective hair covering to contain long hair.
• NYLON LINE – Keep face, hands and feet clear of rotating nylon line at all times.
• THE ROTATING LINE PERFORMS A CUTTING FUNCTION – Use care when trimming
around screens and desirable plantings.
• KEEP ALL BYSTANDERS AWAY – at a safe distance from work area, especially
• IMPORTANT WARNING – When being used as an Edger, stones, pieces of metal and
other objects can be thrown out at high speed by the line. The tool and guard are
designed to reduce the danger. However, the following special precautions should be
• MAKE SURE that other persons and pets are at least 100 feet (30m) away.
• TO REDUCE THE RISK of rebound (ricochet) injury, work going away from any nearby
solid object such as wall, steps, large stone, tree, etc. Use great care when working close
to solid objects and where necessary, do edging or trimming by hand.
• AVOID ACCIDENTALLY STARTING – Don’t carry plugged-in tool with finger on trigger.
SAVE THIS MANUAL FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.
KEY INFORMATION YOU SHOULD KNOW:
• The guard must be installed before trimming or edging - if not, the motor
• When replacing the line, use only .065 inch
diameter ROUND line - other-
wise the unit will not function properly.
• Do not bump the feed head against the ground - it will disrupt the feed
• Angle tool slightly (5
° to 10°) when trimming.
• Always use the cord retention feature.
BEFORE RETURNING THIS PRODUCT
FOR ANY REASON PLEASE CALL
BEFORE YOU CALL, HAVE THE CATALOG No. AND DATE CODE AVAILABLE. IN MOST CASES, A
BLACK & DECKER REPRESENTATIVE CAN RESOLVE THE PROBLEM OVER THE PHONE. IF YOU HAVE A
SUGGESTION OR COMMENT, GIVE US ACALL. YOUR FEEDBACK IS VITALTO BLACK & DECKER.
Minimum Gauge for Cord Sets
Volts Total Length of Cord in Feet
120V 0-25 26-50 51-100 101-150
(0-7,6m) (7,6-15,2m) (15,2-30,4m) (30,4-45,7m)
240V 0-50 51-100 101-200 201-300
(0-15,2m) (15,2-30,4m) (30,4-60,9m) (60,9-91,4m)
More Not more American Wire Gage
0-6 18 16 16 14
6 - 10 18 16 14 12
10 - 12 16 16 14 12
12 - 16 14 12 Not Recommended