Open as PDF
Bouton de conversion
Botón de conversión
Air Intake Slots
Fentes d'admission d'air
Tomas de aire
Dispositif de retenue
de la rallonge
Retén para el cable
Catalog Number: GH600
Cat No. GH600 Form No. 244137-01 Rev. 2 (NOV. ‘03)
Copyright © 2003 Black & Decker Printed in Mexico
TO REDUCE RISK OF INJURY:
• Before any use, be sure everyone using this tool reads and understands all safety instructions and other
information contained in this manual.
• Save these instructions and review frequently prior to use and in instructing others.
• CAUTION: Failure to comply with the recommendations outlined in the key information section will
• WARNING: When using electric gardening appliances, basic safety precautions should always be
followed to reduce risk of fire, electric shock, and personal injury, including the following:
• WARNING: Some dust created by this product contains chemicals known to the State of California to
cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. Some examples of these chemicals are:
• compounds in fertilizers
• compounds in insecticides, herbicides and pesticides
• arsenic and chromium from chemically treated lumber
To reduce your exposure to these chemicals, wear approved safety equipment such as dust masks that are
specially designed to filter out microscopic particles.
• WARNING: This product contains chemicals, including lead, known to the State of California to cause
cancer, and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.
• CAUTION: Wear appropriate personal hearing protection during use. Under some conditions and
duration of use, noise from this product may contribute to hearing loss.
READ AND UNDERSTAND ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING.
SAVE THIS MANUAL FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.
KEY INFORMATION YOU SHOULD KNOW:
• The guard must be installed before trimming or edging - if not, the motor will
• When replacing the line, use only .065” diameter ROUND line - otherwise the unit
will not function properly.
• Do not bump the feed head against the ground - it will disrupt the feed mechanism.
• Angle tool slightly (5
°to 10°) when trimming.
• Always use the cord retainer and the extension cord lock feature.
GENERAL SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL TOOLS
WARNING: IMPORTANT SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS
• ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION – Wear safety spectacles or goggles at all times when this tool is
• GUARD – Do not use this tool without guard attached.
• DRESS PROPERLY – Do not wear loose clothing or jewelry. They can be caught in moving parts. Rubber
gloves and substantial rubber soled footwear are recommended when working outdoors. Don’t operate
the tool when barefoot or wearing open sandals. Wear long pants to protect your legs. Wear protective
hair covering to contain long hair.
• NYLON LINE – Keep face, hands and feet clear of rotating nylon line at all times.
• THE ROTATING LINE PERFORMS A CUTTING FUNCTION – Use care when trimming around screens and
• KEEP ALL BY-STANDERS AWAY – at a safe distance from work area, especially children.
• IMPORTANT WARNING – When being used as an Edger, stones, pieces of metal and other objects can
be thrown out at high speed by the line. The tool and guard are designed to reduce the danger. However,
the following special precautions should be taken:
• MAKE SURE that other persons and pets are at least 100 feet away.
• TO REDUCE THE RISK of rebound (ricochet) injury, work going away from any nearby solid object such
as wall, steps, large stone, tree, etc. Use great care when working close to solid objects and where
necessary, do edging or trimming by hand.
• AVOID ACCIDENTALLY STARTING – Don’t carry plugged-in tool with finger on trigger.
• DO NOT FORCE THE TOOL – at a rate faster than the rate at which it is able to cut effectively.
• USE THE RIGHT TOOL – Do not use this tool for any job except that for which it is intended.
• DON’T OVERREACH – Keep proper footing and balance at all times.
• DON’T ABUSE CORD – Don’t yank cord from power supply. Keep cord from heat, oil, and sharp edges.
• DAMAGE TO UNIT – If you strike or become entangled with a foreign object, stop tool immediately, unplug,
check for damage and have any damage repaired before further operation is attempted. Do not operate
with a broken hub or spool.
• DAMAGE TO CORD – Keep power cord away from rotating line. If you damage the cord, unplug it from
the power supply before moving the tool or examining the damage. A damaged cord must be replaced
before further use.
• DISCONNECT TOOL – when not in use, when replacing line, or prior to cleaning.
• AVOID DANGEROUS ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS – Do not use electric tools in damp or wet
locations. Follow all instructions in this Instruction Manual for proper operation of your tool. Don’t use the
tool in the rain.
• DO NOT OPERATE portable electric tools in gaseous or explosive atmospheres. Motors in these tools
normally spark, and the sparks might ignite fumes.
• STORE IDLE TOOLS INDOORS – When not in use, tools should be stored indoors in a dry, locked-up
place out of reach of children.
• GROUND FAULT CIRCUIT INTERRUPTER (GFCI) protection should be provided on the circuits or outlets to
be used for the gardening appliance. Receptacles are available having built in GFCI protection and may
be used for this measure of protection.
• SECURE EXTENSION CORD using the cord retainer shown in Figure 4.
To reduce the risk of electric shock, this equipment has a polarized plug (one blade is wider than the other)
and will require the use of a polarized extension cord. The appliance plug will fit into a polarized extension
cord only one way. If the plug does not fit fully into the extension cord, reverse the plug. If the plug still does
not fit, obtain a correct polarized extension cord. A polarized extension cord will require the use of a
polarized wall outlet. This plug will fit into the polarized wall outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit fully
into the wall outlet, reverse the plug. If the plug still does not fit, contact a qualified electrician to install the
proper wall outlet. Do not change the equipment plug, extension cord receptacle, or extension cord plug in
Make sure your extension cord is in good condition. When using an extension cord, be sure to use one
heavy enough to carry the current your product will draw. An undersized cord will cause a drop in line
voltage resulting in loss of power and overheating. The table shows the correct size to use depending on
cord length and nameplate ampere rating. If in doubt, use the next heavier gauge. The smaller the gauge
number, the heavier the cord. If the extension will be used outside, the cord must be suitable for outdoor
work. The letters “WA” on the cord jacket indicate that the cord is suitable for outdoor use.
SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS: POLARIZED PLUGS
SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS: EXTENSION CORDS
• STAY ALERT – Watch what you are doing. Use common sense. Do not operate tool when you are tired.
• MAINTAIN APPLIANCES WITH CARE – Follow instructions in maintenance section. Inspect extension cords
periodically and replace if damaged. Keep handles dry, clean and free from oil and grease.
• CHECK DAMAGED PARTS – Before further use of the appliance, a guard or other part that is damaged
should be carefully checked to determine that it will operate properly and perform its intended function.
Check for alignment of moving parts, binding of moving parts, breakage of parts, mounting, and any
other condition that may affect its operation. A guard or other part that is damaged should be properly
repaired or replaced by an authorized service center unless otherwise indicated elsewhere in this manual.
• WARNING: When servicing double insulated tools, USE ONLY IDENTICAL REPLACEMENT PARTS.
Replace or repair damaged cords.
• WARNING: To prevent electrical shock hazard, use only with an extension cord suitable for outdoor
use. Always connect extension cords to a fused line or one protected by a circuit breaker.
BEFORE RETURNING THIS PRODUCT BEFORE RETURNING THIS PRODUCT
FOR ANY REASON PLEASE CALLFOR ANY REASON PLEASE CALL
IF YOU SHOULD EXPERIENCE A PROBLEM
WITH YOUR BLACK & DECKER PRODUCT,
CALL 1-800-54-HOW-TO (544-6986).
BEFORE YOU CALL, HAVE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION
AVAILABLE, CATALOG NO., TYPE NO., AND DATE CODE.
IN MOST CASES, A BLACK & DECKER REPRESENTATIVE CAN RESOLVE
YOUR PROBLEM OVER THE PHONE. IF YOU HAVE A SUGGESTION OR
COMMENT, GIVE US A CALL. YOUR FEEDBACK IS VITAL TO BLACK & DECKER.
Cord Lock Fork
Dispositif de verrouillage
de la rallonge
Seguro para el cable
• WARNING: The guard must always be on the tool to protect the user.
NEVER OPERATE TOOL WITHOUT GUARD FIRMLY IN PLACE.
UNPLUG THE TOOL BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO ATTACH THE GUARD.
1. Position the open center of the guard over the line feed head (Figure 1).
2. Hinge the guard on the hook located on the lower motor housing. Ensure the line is free, and not tucked
under the guard. Once hooked, lightly pull on the back edge of the guard and push the guard down
until the 3 latches snap into place on the motor housing. (Figure 2)
ASSEMBLY / ADJUSTMENT SET-UP
Minimum Gage for Cord Sets
Volts Total Length of Cord in Feet
120V 0-25 26-50 51-100 101-150
240V 0-50 51-100 101-200 201-300
More Not more American Wire Gage
0- 6 18 16 16 14
6- 10 18 16 14 12
10- 12 16 16 14 12
12- 16 14 12 Not Recommended