Open as PDF
KEY INFORMATION YOU SHOULD KNOW:
• Your edger is designed to eject clippings and other debris forward, away from the operator.
Inspect and thoroughly clean your edger at the start of each edging season.
• The blade on this tool is not intended to be sharp. Do not sharpen it in any way.
• Make sure edging area (100 ft.) is clear of other persons or pets prior to starting operation.
CAT. NO. LE750, EH1000 FORM NO. 90579548 AUGUST 2011
Copyright © 2011 Black & Decker PRINTED IN CHINA
VEA EL ESPAÑOL EN LA CONTRAPORTADA.
INSTRUCTIVO DE OPERACIÓN, CENTROS DE SERVICIO Y PÓLIZA DE GARANTÍA.
ADVERTENCIA: LÉASE ESTE INSTRUCTIVO ANTES DE USAR EL PRODUCTO.
atalog No. LE750, EH1000
WARNING: IMPORTANT SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS
ARNING: When using electric gardening appliances, basic safety precautions should
always be followed to reduce risk of fire, electric shock, and personal injury, including the
WARNING Some dust created by this product contains chemicals known to the State of
California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. Some examples of these
chemicals are: • compounds in fertilizers
• compounds in insecticides, herbicides and pesticides
• arsenic and chromium from chemically treated lumber
To reduce your exposure to these chemicals, wear approved safety equipment such as dust
masks that are specially designed to filter out microscopic particles.
WARNING: This product contains chemicals, including lead, known to the State of
California to cause cancer, and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after
CAUTION: Wear appropriate personal hearing protection during use. Under some
conditions and duration of use, noise from this product may contribute to hearing loss.
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS
TO REDUCE RISK OF INJURY:
• Before any use, be sure everyone using this tool reads and understands all safety
instructions and other information contained in this manual.
• Save these instructions and review frequently prior to use and in instructing others.
SAFETY GUIDELINES - DEFINITIONS
It is important for you to read and understand this manual.
The information it contains relates to protecting YOUR SAFETY and PREVENTING
PROBLEMS. The symbols below are used to help you recognize this information.
DANGER: Indicates an imminently hazardous situation which, if not avoided, will result
in death or serious injury.
WARNING: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided, could result
in death or serious injury.
CAUTION: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided, may result in
minor or moderate injury.
CAUTION: Used without the safety alert symbol indicates a potentially hazardous situation
which, if not avoided, may result in property damage.
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS
GENERAL SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL TOOLS
SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS: DOUBLE INSULATION
REPLACEMENT PARTS: When servicing use only identical Black & Decker replacement
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS: POLARIZED PLUGS
To reduce the risk of electric shock, this equipment has a polarized plug (one blade is wider
than the other). This equipment must be used with a suitable polarized 2 wire or 3 wire
extension cord. Polarized connections will fit together only one way. Make sure that the
receptacle end of the extension cord has large and small blade slot widths. If the plug does not
fit fully into the extension cord, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, obtain a suitable
extension cord. If the extension cord does not fit fully into the outlet, contact a qualified
electrician to install the proper outlet. Do not modify the appliance plug or extension cord in
THIS TOOL CAN BE DANGEROUS. Follow all warnings and Safety Instructions in this
manual. The operator is responsible for following warnings and instructions in this manual and
on unit. Restrict use of this power tool to persons who read, understand and follow warnings
and instructions in this manual and on unit.
• AVOID DANGEROUS ENVIRONMENT. Donʼt use appliances in damp or wet locations. Donʼt
use appliances in the rain.
• KEEP CHILDREN AWAY. All other persons and pets should be kept at a safe distance from
• STORE IDLE APPLIANCES INDOORS. Appliances should be stored indoors in dry, secured
area – out of reach of children.
• DON’T FORCE APPLIANCE. It will do the job better and with less likelihood of a risk of injury
at the rate for which it was designed.
• USE RIGHT APPLIANCE. Do not use the appliance for any job except that for which it is
• DRESS PROPERLY. Do not wear loose clothing or jewelry. They can be caught in moving
parts. Rubber gloves, long pants and substantial, non-skid footwear are recommended when
working outdoors. Do not go barefoot or wear sandals. Wear protective hair covering to
contain long hair.
• USE SAFETY GLASSES AND OTHER SAFETY EQUIPMENT. Use safety goggles or safety
lasses with side shields, complying with applicable safety standards and, when needed, a
face shield. Also use face or dust mask if operation is dusty. This applies to all persons in the
work area. Also use a hard hat, hearing protection, gloves, safety shoes and dust collection
systems when specified or required. Safety glasses or the like are available at extra cost at
your local dealer or Black & Decker Service Center.
• DON’T ABUSE CORD. Never carry appliance by cord or yank it to disconnect from
receptacle. Keep cord from heat, oil, and sharp edges.
DON’T OVERREACH. Keep proper footing and balance at all times.
• MAINTAIN APPLIANCE WITH CARE. Keep cutting edge clean for best performance and to
reduce the risk of injury. Follow instructions for lubricating and changing accessories. Inspect
appliance cord periodically and if damaged, have it repaired by authorized service facility.
Inspect extension cords periodically and replace if damaged. Keep handles dry, clean, and
free from oil and grease.
• DISCONNECT APPLIANCES. Disconnect the appliance from the power supply when not in
se, before servicing, and when changing accessories such as blades and the like.
• AVOID UNINTENTIONAL STARTING. Donʼt carry plugged-in appliance with finger on
switch. Be sure switch is off when plugging in.
• EXTENSION CORDS. Make sure your extension cord is in good condition. Cord insulation must
be intact with no cracks or deterioration. Plug connectors must be undamaged. When using an
extension cord, be sure to use one heavy enough to carry the current your product will draw.An
undersized extension cord will cause a drop in line voltage resulting in loss of power and
verheating, which can shorten the life of the motor. The table shows the correct size to use
depending on cord length and nameplate ampere rating. If in doubt, use the next heavier gauge.
The smaller the gauge number, the heavier the cord.
• indicates the Edger is “DOUBLE INSULATED”
• OUTDOOR USE EXTENSION CORDS WARNING: To reduce the risk of electric shock,
use only with an extension cord intended for outdoor use, such as an extension cord of type
SW-A, SOW-A, STW-A, STOW-A, SJW-A, SJOW-A, SJTW-A, or SJTOW-A.
• GROUND FAULT CIRCUIT INTERRUPTER (GFCI) protection should be provided on the
circuits or outlets to be used for the gardening appliance. Receptacles are available having
uilt in GFCI protection and may be used for this measure of safety.
• STAY ALERT. Watch what you are doing. Use common sense. Do not operate appliance
when you are tired, ill or under the influence of any drugs or alcohol.
• CHECK DAMAGED PARTS. Before further use of the appliance, a guard or other part that is
damaged should be carefully checked to determine that it will operate properly and perform
its intended function. Check for alignment of moving parts, binding of moving parts,
breakage of parts, mounting, and any other conditions that may affect its operation. Aguard
r other part that is damaged should be properly repaired or replaced by an authorized
service center unless otherwise indicated elsewhere in this manual.
• REPAIRS AND SERVICE. Repairs, maintenance and any adjustments not specified in this
manual should be performed by Black & Decker authorized service centers or other qualified
service organizations, always using identical replacement parts.
• USE OF ACCESSORIES AND ATTACHMENTS. The use of any accessory or attachment
not recommended for use with this appliance could be hazardous. Note: Refer to the
accessory section of this manual for further details.
ADDITIONAL WARNINGS FOR EDGERS
1. Keep guard in place.
2. Keep blade area clean.
DANGER: Risk of injury. Keep hands and feet away from blade and cutting area.
When using the edger, stones, pieces of metal and other objects can be thrown out at high
speed by the blade. The tool and guard are designed to reduce the danger. However, the fol-
lowing special precautions should be taken:
1. Wear safety glasses or other eye protection, gloves, long pants and substantial footwear.
2. Make sure that other persons and pets are at least 100 feet away.
3. Always stand to left side of main handle.
4. Before Landscaping or Trenching, check for buried electrical cables.
5. To reduce the risk of rebound (ricochet) injury, work going away from any nearby solid
object such as a wall, steps, large stone, tree, etc. Use great care when working close to
solid objects or into the wind, and, where necessary, do edging or trimming by hand.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
Minimum Gauge for Cord Sets
Volts Total Length of Cord in Feet
120V 0-25 26-50 51-100 101-150
(0-7,6m) (7,6-15,2m) (15,2-30,4m) (30,4-45,7m)
240V 0-50 51-100 101-200 201-300
(0-15,2m) (15,2-30,4m)(30,4-60,9m) (60,9-91,4m)
More Not more American Wire Gauge
0-6 18 16 16 14
6-10 18 16 14 12
10 - 12 16 16 14 12
12 - 16 14 12 Not Recommended
Thank you for choosing Black & Decker!
o to www.BlackandDecker.com/NewOwner
to register your new product.
LEASE READ BEFORE RETURNING THIS
PRODUCT FOR ANY REASON:
f you have a question or experience a problem with your Black & Decker purchase, go to
f you can’t find the answer or do not have access to the internet,
all 1-800-544-6986 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST Mon. -- Fri. to speak with an agent.
lease have the catalog number available when you call.
or instant answers 24 hours a day.
SSAAVVEE TTHHIISS IINNSSTTRRUUCCTTIIOONN MMAANNUUAALL FFOORR FFUUTTUURREE RREEFFEERREENNCCEE..