Open as PDF
Cat No. CST1100, CST1200 Form No. 90563739 APRIL 2010
Copyright © 2010 Black & Decker Printed in China
SAFETY GUIDELINES - DEFINITIONS
It is important for you to read and understand this manual. The information it contains
relates to protecting YOUR SAFETY and PREVENTING PROBLEMS. The symbols below
are used to help you recognize this information.
DANGER: Indicates an imminently hazardous situation which, if not avoided, will result
in death or serious injury.
WARNING: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided, could result
in death or serious injury.
CAUTION: Indicates a potentially haz ard ous situation which, if not avoided, may result
in minor or mod er ate injury.
CAUTION: Used without the safety alert symbol indicates a potentially hazardous situation
which, if not avoided, may result in property damage.
WARNING: IMPORTANT SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS
WARNING: When using electric gardening appliances, basic safety precautions should
always be followed to reduce risk of fire, electric shock, and personal injury, including the
WARNING: Some dust created by this product contains chemicals known to the State of
California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. Some examples of
these chemicals are:
• compounds in fertilizers
• compounds in insecticides, herbicides and pesticides
• arsenic and chromium from chemically treated lumber
To reduce your exposure to these chemicals, wear approved safety equipment such as dust
masks that are specially designed to filter out microscopic particles.
WARNING: This product contains chemicals, including lead, known to the State of
California to cause cancer, and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after
CAUTION: Wear appropriate personal hearing protection during use. Under some
conditions and duration of use, noise from this product may contribute to hearing loss.
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS
TO REDUCE RISK OF INJURY:
• Before any use, be sure everyone using this tool reads and understands all safety
instructions and other information contained in this manual.
• Save these instructions and review frequently prior to use and in instructing others.
GENERAL SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL TOOLS
• ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION – Wear safety glasses or goggles at all times when
this appliance is in use. Safety glasses are available at extra cost at your local
Black & Decker Service Center or authorized service facility. Always use face or dust mask
if operation is dusty.
• GUARD – Do not use this appliance without guard properly attached.
• DRESS PROPERLY – Do not wear loose clothing or jewelry. They can be caught in moving
parts. Rubber gloves and substantial rubber soled footwear are recommended when working
outdoors. Donʼt operate the appliance when barefoot or wearing open sandals. Wear long
pants to protect your legs. Wear protective hair covering to contain long hair.
• NYLON LINE – Keep face, hands and feet clear of rotating cutting line at all times.
• THE ROTATING LINE PERFORMS A CUTTING FUNCTION – Use care when trimming
around screens, fences and desirable plantings.
• KEEP CHILDREN AWAY – All visitors should be kept at safe distance from work area.
• IMPORTANT WARNING – When being used stones, pieces of metal and other objects can
be thrown out at high speed by the line. The tool and guard are designed to reduce the
danger. However, the following special precautions should be taken:
WARNING: Make sure that other persons and pets are at least 100 ft. (30.5m) away.
WARNING: To reduce the risk of rebound (ricochet) injury, work going away from any
nearby solid object such as a wall, steps, large stone, tree, etc. Use great care when working
close to solid objects, and, where necessary, do trimming by hand.
• AVOID ACCIDENTALLY STARTING – Donʼt carry appliance with finger on trigger.
• DO NOT FORCE THE APPLIANCE – It will do the job better and with less likelihood of a risk
of injury at the rate for which it was designed.
• USE THE RIGHT APPLIANCE – Do not use this appliance for any job except that for which it
• DONʼT OVERREACH – Keep proper footing and balance at all times.
• DAMAGE TO APPLIANCE – If you strike or become entangled with a foreign object, stop
tool immediately, check for damage and have any damage repaired before further operation
is attempted. Do not operate with a broken hub or spool.
• AVOID DANGEROUS ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS – Do not use electric appliances in
damp or wet locations. Donʼt use the appliance in the rain.
• DO NOT OPERATE trimmer/edgers in gaseous or explosive atmospheres. Motors in these
appliances normally spark, and the sparks might ignite fumes.
• STORE IDLE APPLIANCES INDOORS – When not in use, appliances should be stored
indoors in a dry locked-up place out of reach of children.
• STAY ALERT– Watch what you are doing. Use common sense. Do not operate appliance
when you are tired.
• MAINTAIN APPLIANCES WITH CARE – Keep cutting edge sharp and clean for best
performance and to reduce the risk of injury. Follow instructions for lubricating and changing
accessories. Inspect appliance cord periodically, and if damaged, have it repaired by an
authorized service facility. Inspect extension cords
periodically and replace if damaged. Keep handles dry, clean, and free from oil and grease.
• CHECK DAMAGED PARTS – Check for alignment of moving parts, binding of moving parts,
breakage of parts, mounting, and any other condition that may affect its operation. Before
further use of the appliance, a guard or other part that is damaged should be repaired or
replaced by an authorized service center unless otherwise indicated elsewhere in this manual.
• FOR HOUSEHOLD use only.
• KEEP GUARDS IN PLACE AND IN WORKING ORDER.
• KEEP HANDS AND FEET AWAY FROM CUTTING AREA.
• DO NOT CHARGE APPLIANCE IN RAIN OR IN WET LOCATIONS.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT
Charging port and pin
Orifice de chargement et
Puerto y punta de carga
KEY INFORMATION YOU SHOULD KNOW:
• Charge battery for a minimum of 24 hours before using your trimmer, using the
Black and Decker 12V charger 244374.
• The guard must be installed before trimming - if not, the motor will overheat, and
void your warranty.
• To operate the trimmer, the lock off button must first be pulled back, so the
trigger can be activated.
• When replacing the line, use only 0.065 in. diameter ROUND line
the unit may not function properly.
• For trouble free feeding and best results, only use Black & Decker replacement
spools with single 0.065 inch line. Black & Decker replacement spool model
Hub & Spool
Moyeu et bobine
Bobina y carrete
Support à chargeur
Soporte para el cargador
DEL de chargement
LED de carga
Dispositif de verrouillage
Entrada de aire
Thank you for choosing Black & Decker!
Go to www.BlackandDecker.com/NewOwner
to register your new product.
PLEASE READ BEFORE RETURNING THIS
PRODUCT FOR ANY REASON:
If you have a question or experience a problem with your Black & Decker purchase, go to
If you can’t find the answer or do not have access to the internet,
call 1-800-544-6986 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST Mon. -- Fri. to speak with an agent.
Please have the catalog number available when you call.
for instant answers 24 hours a day.
SAVE THIS INSTRUCTION MANUAL FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.