Open as PDF
SAVE THIS MANUAL FOR FUTURE REFERENCE
KEY INFORMATION YOU SHOULD KNOW:
• Charge battery for 9 hours before attempting to use your trimmer/edger.
• To operate the trimmer, the lock out button must be pulled back.
• This is an automatic feed trimmer – Do not bump head against ground.
• Use only .065” diameter line.
• Install guard.
Cat No. NST2018, NST2018G, NST2018L Form No. 90509965-01 Nov. ‘07
Copyright © 2007 Black & Decker Printed in China
WARNING: Important Safety Warnings
TO REDUCE RISK OF INJURY:
• Before any use, be sure everyone using this tool reads and understands all safety
instructions and other information contained in this manual.
• Save these instructions and review frequently prior to use and in instructing others.
• Keep long hair and loose clothing away from openings and moving parts.
WARNING: When using electric gardening appliances, basic safety
precautions should always be followed to reduce risk of fire, electric shock, and personal
injury, including the following.
WARNING: Some dust created by this product contains chemicals known to
the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. Some
examples of these chemicals are:
• compounds in fertilizers
• compounds in insecticides, herbicides and pesticides
• arsenic and chromium from chemically treated lumber
To reduce your exposure to these chemicals, wear approved safety equipment such as dust
masks that are specially designed to filter out microscopic particles.
WARNING: This product contains chemicals, including lead, known to the
State of California to cause cancer, and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash
hands after handling.
CAUTION: Wear appropriate personal hearing protection during use. Under some
conditions and duration of use, noise from this product may contribute to hearing loss.
READ AND UNDERSTAND ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING.
GENERAL SAFETY WARNINGS AND
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL TOOLS
• READ and understand all instructions.
• A BATTERY OPERATED UNIT with integral batteries or a separate battery pack must be
recharged only with the specified charger for the battery. A charger that may be suitable for
one type of battery may create a risk of fire when used with another battery.
• USE BATTERY OPERATED UNIT ONLY with specifically designated battery pack. Use of
any other batteries may create a risk of fire.
• AVOID accidental starting. Be sure switch is in the locked or off position before inserting
battery pack. Carrying units with your finger on the switch or inserting the battery pack into a
unit with the switch on invites accidents.
• DO NOT use unit if switch does not turn it on or off. A unit that cannot be controlled with the
switch is dangerous and must be repaired.
• DISCONNECT battery pack from unit or place the switch in the locked or off position before
making any adjustments, changing accessories, or storing the unit. Such preventative safety
measures reduce the risk of starting the unit accidentally.
• ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION – Wear safety glasses or goggles at all times when
this unit is in use. Safety glasses are available at extra cost at your local Black & Decker
Service Center or authorized service facility. Always use face or dust mask if operation is
• GUARD – Do not use this unit without guard attached.
• DRESS PROPERLY – Do not wear loose clothing or jewelry. They can be caught in moving
parts. Rubber gloves and substantial rubber soled footwear are recommended when
working outdoors. Don’t operate the unit when barefoot or wearing open sandals. Wear long
pants to protect your legs. Wear protective hair covering to contain long hair.
• NYLON LINE – Keep face, hands and feet clear of rotating nylon line at all times.
• THE ROTATING LINE PERFORMS A CUTTING FUNCTION – Use care when trimming
around screens and desirable plantings.
• KEEP CHILDREN AWAY – All visitors should be kept at safe distance from work area.
• IMPORTANT WARNING – When being used as an edger, stones, pieces of metal and other
objects can be thrown out at high speed by the line. The unit and guard are designed to
reduce the danger. However, the following special precautions should be taken:
• WARNING: Make sure that other persons and pets are at least 100 ft. (30.5m) away.
• WARNING: To reduce the risk of rebound (ricochet) injury, work going away from any
nearby solid object such as a wall, steps, large stone, tree, etc. Use great care when working
close to solid objects, and, where necessary, do edging or trimming by hand.
ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
• AVOID DANGEROUS ENVIRONMENT- Do not use or charge battery in damp or wet
• DO NOT USE OR CHARGE battery in rain.
• REMOVE BATTERY before servicing, cleaning or removing material from the trimmer.
Remove battery from your trimmer and carry by the front handle when not in use.
• EXERCISE CARE in handling batteries in order not to short the battery with conducting
materials such as rings, bracelets and keys. The battery or conductor may overheat and
• DO NOT OPEN OR MUTILATE the batteries. Released electrolyte is corrosive and may
cause damage to the eyes or skin. It may be toxic if swallowed.
FIRST AID MEASURES FOR GEL COMPONENTS (NST2018G ONLY)
If gel within the comfort grip becomes exposed and results in skin contact wash with soap
and water; for eye contact, flush with flowing water. If swallowed, seek medical attention.
Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) available from 1-800-544-6986
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
The label on your tool may include the following symbols.
V ..............volts A ................amperes
Hz ............hertz W................watts
min............minutes ..............alternating current
o ..............no load speed
Class II Construction
safety alert symbol .../min ......revolutions or
reciprocations per minute
Verrouillage hors tension
Interrupteur à détente
Charger not shown
Chargeur non illustré
Cargador no ilustrado
• AVOID ACCIDENTALLY STARTING – Don’t carry unit with finger on trigger.
• DO NOT FORCE THE APPLIANCE – It will do the job better and with less likelihood of a risk
of injury at the rate for which it was designed.
• USE THE RIGHT APPLIANCE – Do not use this unit for any job except that for which it is
• DON’T OVERREACH – Keep proper footing and balance at all times.
• DAMAGE TO APPLIANCE – If you strike or become entangled with a foreign object, stop
tool immediately, check for damage and have any damage repaired before further operation
is attempted. Do not operate with a broken hub or spool.
• AVOID DANGEROUS ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS – Do not use electric units in damp
or wet locations. Don’t use the unit in the rain.
• DO NOT OPERATE trimmer/edgers in gaseous or explosive atmospheres. Motors in these
units normally spark, and the sparks might ignite fumes.
• STORE IDLE APPLIANCES INDOORS – When not in use, units should be stored indoors in
a dry locked-up place out of reach of children.
• STAY ALERT– Watch what you are doing. Use common sense. Do not operate unit when
you are tired.
• MAINTAIN APPLIANCES WITH CARE – Keep cutting edge sharp and clean for best
performance and to reduce the risk of injury. Follow instructions for lubricating and changing
accessories. Inspect appliance cord
periodically, and if damaged, have it repaired by an authorized service facility. Inspect
periodically and replace if damaged. Keep handles dry, clean, and free from oil and grease.
• CHECK DAMAGED PARTS – Before further use of the unit, a guard or other part that is
damaged should be carefully checked to determine that it will operate properly and perform
its intended function. Check for alignment of moving parts, binding of moving parts, breakage
of parts, mounting, and any other condition that may affect its operation. A guard or other part
that is damaged should be properly repaired or replaced by an authorized service center
unless otherwise indicated elsewhere in this manual.
• KEEP GUARDS IN PLACE AND IN WORKING ORDER.
• KEEP HANDS AND FEET AWAY FROM CUTTING AREA.
• DO NOT CHARGE APPLIANCE IN RAIN OR IN WET LOCATIONS.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
Catalog Number NST2018,
BEFORE RETURNING THIS PRODUCT
FOR ANY REASON PLEASE CALL
BEFORE YOU CALL, HAVE THE CATALOG No. AND DATE CODE AVAILABLE. IN MOST CASES, A
BLACK & DECKER REPRESENTATIVE CAN RESOLVE THE PROBLEM OVER THE PHONE. IF YOU HAVE A
SUGGESTION OR COMMENT, GIVE US ACALL. YOUR FEEDBACK IS VITAL TO BLACK & DECKER.