Open as PDF
SAVE THIS MANUAL FOR FUTURE REFERENCE
Cat No. CHT500 Form No. 616081-00 JAN. ‘03
Copyright © 2003 Black & Decker Printed in China
WARNING: IMPORTANT SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS
TO REDUCE RISK OF INJURY:
• Before any use, be sure everyone using this tool reads and understands all safety instructions
and other information contained in this manual.
• Save these instructions and review frequently prior to use and in instructing others.
• WARNING: Some dust created by this product contains chemicals known to the
State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Some examples of these chemicals are:
• compounds in fertilizers
• compounds in insecticides, herbicides and pesticides
• arsenic and chromium from chemically treated lumber
To reduce your exposure to these chemicals, wear approved safety equipment such as dust
masks that are specially designed to filter out microscopic particles.
• CAUTION: Wear appropriate personal hearing protection during use. Under some
conditions and duration of use, noise from this product may contribute to
• WARNING: When using electric gardening appliances, basic safety precautions should
always be followed to reduce risk of fire, electric shock, and
personal injury, including the following:
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS
GENERAL SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL TOOLS
• AVOID DANGEROUS ENVIRONMENT- Do not use or charge hedge trimmers in damp or wet
• DO NOT USE OR CHARGE battery operated hedge trimmer in rain.
• DO NOT OPERATE hedge trimmer in gaseous or explosive atmospheres. Motors in these
tools normally spark, and the sparks might ignite fumes.
• KEEP CHILDREN AWAY - All visitors should be kept at a safe distance from the work area.
• DRESS PROPERLY - Don’t wear loose clothing or jewelry. They can be caught in moving
parts. Use of rubber gloves and substantial footwear is recommended when working
outdoors. Wear protective hair covering to contain long hair.
• USE SAFETY GLASSES - Also use face or dust mask if operation is dusty.
• USE RIGHT APPLIANCE - Do not use appliance for any job except that for which it is intended.
• AVOID UNINTENTIONAL STARTING - Don’t carry hedge trimmer with finger on switch.
DANGER: Risk of cut. Keep hands away from blades. Keep both hands on handles
when power is on.
• DO NOT ATTEMPT to remove cut material or hold material to be cut when blades are moving.
Make sure battery is removed when clearing jammed material from blades. Do not grasp the
exposed cutting blades or cutting edges when picking up or holding the hedge trimmer.
CAUTION: Blades may coast after turn off.
CAUTION: NEVER use guard as a handle. Never grasp the unit by the guard.
Failure to heed this warning can result in serious personal injury.
• DON’T FORCE HEDGE TRIMMER - It will do the job better and with less likelihood of a risk of
injury at the rate for which it was designed.
DANGER: If blade jams on any electrical cord or line, DO NOT TOUCH THE BLADE! IT
CAN BECOME ELECTRICALLY LIVE AND VERY DANGEROUS. Release the
unit in the safest manner possible. Disconnect the damaged electrical cord or
line from the power source. If possible, do so safely. If in doubt, call an
electrician or the electrical contractor for assistance. Failure to heed this Danger
will result in serious personal injury and possibly death.
• DON’T OVERREACH - Keep proper footing and balance at all times.
• STAY ALERT - Watch what you are doing. Use common sense. Do not operate hedge trimmer
when you are tired.
• STORE IDLE HEDGE TRIMMER INDOORS - When not in use, hedge trimmer should be stored
indoors in a dry and high or locked-up place–out of reach of children.
• MAINTAIN HEDGE TRIMMER WITH CARE - Keep cutting edge sharp and clean for best
performance and to reduce the risk of injury. Follow instructions for lubricating. Keep
handles dry, clean and free from oil and grease.
CAUTION: Do not at any time let brake fluids, gasoline, petroleum based products,
penetrating oils, etc., come in contact with plastic parts.
They contain chemicals that can damage, weaken or destroy plastic.
• CHECK DAMAGED PARTS - If damage to trimmer occurs, before further use of the hedge
trimmer, a guard or other part that is damaged should be carefully checked to determine that
it will operate properly and perform its intended function. Check for alignment of moving
parts, binding of moving parts, breakage of parts, mounting and any other condition that
may affect its operation. A guard or other part that is damaged should be properly repaired
or replaced by an authorized service center unless otherwise indicated elsewhere in this manual.
• REMOVE BATTERY before servicing, cleaning or removing material from the hedge trimmer.
Remove battery from your hedge trimmer and carry by the front handle when not in use.
• GROUND FAULT CIRCUIT INTERRUPTER (GFCI) protection should be provided on the
circuit(s) or outlet(s) to be used for the hedge trimmer. Receptacles are available having built-
in GFCI protection and may be used for this measure of safety. O
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
The label on your tool may include the following symbols.
V ..............volts A................amperes
Hz ............hertz W ..............watts
min............minutes ..............alternating current
o ..............no load speed
Class II Construction
..............safety alert symbol .../min ..........revolutions or
reciprocations per minute
BATTERY CAP INFORMATION
Battery storage and carrying caps are provided for use whenever the battery is out of the tool
or charger. Remove cap before placing battery in charger or tool.
WARNING: Do not store or carry battery so that metal objects can contact exposed battery
terminals. For example, do not place battery in aprons, pockets, tool boxes, product kit
boxes, drawers, etc. with loose nails, screws, keys, etc. without battery cap. Without cap in
place, battery could short circuit causing fire or burns or damage to battery.
CHARGING THE POWER PACK
THE BATTERIES IN YOUR POWER PACK ARE NOT FULLY CHARGED AT THE FACTORY.
BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO CHARGE THEM, THOROUGHLY READ ALL OF THE SAFETY
The charger is designed to use standard household 120 volt 60 Hz power.
1. Remove the power pack from the tool by squeezing the tab as shown in Figure 1.
2. Plug the charger into any standard 120 Volt 60 Hz electrical outlet.
3. Insert the power pack into the charger (Fig. 2) and let the battery charge initially for
9 hours. After the initial charge, under normal usage, your power pack should be fully
charged in 3 to 6 hours.
4. Remove pack from the charger and replace in tool.
Important Charging Notes
1. After normal usage, your power pack should be fully charged in 3 to 6 hours. If the power
pack is run-down completely, it may take up to 8 hours to become fully charged. Your
power pack was sent from the factory in an uncharged condition. Before attempting to use
it, it must be charged for at least 9 hours.
2. DO NOT charge the power pack in an air temperature below 40°F (5°C) or above
105°F (41°C). This is important and will prevent serious damage to the power pack.
Longest life and best performance can be obtained if the power pack is charged when
the air temperature is about 75°F (25°C).
3. While charging, the charger may hum and become warm to touch. This is a normal
condition and does not indicate a problem.
4. If the power pack does not charge properly — (1) Check current at receptacle by
plugging in a lamp or other appliance. (2) Check to see if receptacle is connected to a
light switch which turns power off when you turn out the lights. (3) Move charger and
power pack to a surrounding air temperature of 40°F (5°C) to 105°F (41°C). (4) If the
receptacle and temperature are ok, and you do not get proper charging, take or send
the power pack and charger to your local authorized service center. See “Tools Electric”
in yellow pages.
5. The power pack should be recharged when it fails to produce sufficient power on jobs
which were easily done previously. DO NOT CONTINUE to use the trimmer with its
power pack in a depleted condition.
6. To prolong power pack life, avoid leaving the power pack on charge for more than 8
hours. Although overcharging is not a safety concern, it can significantly reduce overall
power pack life.
7. When the battery is inserted into the charger, the red “Charging Indicator” light will
come on indicating that there is contact between the battery and charger. The light will
stay on as long as the battery is in the charger and the charger is plugged into a
working outlet. It WILL NOT flash, go out or change to a different color when the
charging cycle is complete.
8. Do not charge power pack in rain or in wet conditions.
9. Use only the batteries and charger supplied with your hedge trimmer or identical
10.Do not incinerate the batteries. They can explode in a fire. A small leakage of liquid
from the battery cells may occur under extreme usage, charging or temperature
conditions. This does not indicate a failure. However, if the outer seal is broken and this
leakage gets on your skin:
a. Wash quickly with soap and water.
b. Neutralize with a mild acid such as lemon juice or vinegar.
c. If the battery liquid gets in your eyes, flush them with clean water for a minimum of
10 minutes and seek immediate medical attention. MEDICAL NOTE: The liquid is a
25-35% solution of potassium hydroxide.
11.Do not open or mutilate the batteries. Released electrolyte is corrosive and may cause
damage to the eyes or skin. It may be toxic if swallowed.
12.Exercise care when handling batteries in order not to short the battery with conducting
materials such as rings, bracelets and keys. The battery or conductor may overheat and
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
Lock out button
Bouton de verrouillage
Botón del seguro
BEFORE RETURNING THIS PRODUCT
FOR ANY REASON PLEASE CALL
IF YOU SHOULD EXPERIENCE A PROBLEM
WITH YOUR BLACK & DECKER PRODUCT,
BEFORE YOU CALL, HAVE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AVAILABLE, CATALOG No.,
TYPE No., AND DATE CODE (e.g. 0130M). IN MOST CASES, A BLACK & DECKER
REPRESENTATIVE CAN RESOLVE YOUR PROBLEM OVER THE PHONE. IF YOU
HAVE ASUGGESTION OR COMMENT, GIVE US A CALL. YOUR
FEEDBACK IS VITALTO BLACK & DECKER.
• To operate the trimmer, the lock off button must be pushed forward.
• The batteries in your power pack are not fully charged at the factory. Before
attempting to charge them, thoroughly read all of the safety instructions.