Open as PDF
5° to 10°
SAVE THIS MANUAL FOR FUTURE REFERENCE
Cat No. CST500 Form No. 616080-00 JAN. ‘03
Copyright © 2003 Black & Decker Printed in China
WARNING: IMPORTANT SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS
When using electric gardening appliances, basic safety precautions should
always be followed to reduce risk of fire, electric shock, and personal injury,
including the following.
WARNING: Some dust created when using lawn and garden power tools contains chemicals
known to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm.
Some examples of these chemicals are:
• crystalline silica from sand, bricks and other masonry dust
• arsenic and chromium from chemically treated lumber (CCA)
• compounds in fertilizers
• compounds in insecticides, herbicides and pesticides
Health risk from these chemical exposures varies, depending on the environment in which you are
working and how often you do this type of work. To reduce your exposure to these chemicals, fol-
low product label instructions to apply chemicals such as fertilizers, insecticides, herbicides or pes-
ticides. When using these tools, wear safety equipment such as gloves and dust masks which are
especially designed to filter out microscopic particles.
WARNING: Wear appropriate personal hearing protection during use. Under some
conditions and duration of use, noise from this product may contribute to
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS
TO REDUCE RISK OF INJURY:
• Before any use, be sure everyone using this tool reads and understands all safety instructions
and other information contained in this manual.
• Save these instructions and review frequently prior to use and in instructing others.
GENERAL SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL TOOLS
• ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION – Wear safety glasses or goggles at all times when this
appliance is in use. Safety glasses are available at extra cost at your local Black & Decker Service
Center or authorized service facility. Always use face or dust mask if operation is dusty.
• GUARD – Do not use this appliance without guard properly attached.
• DRESS PROPERLY – Do not wear loose clothing or jewelry. They can be caught in moving parts.
Rubber gloves and substantial rubber soled footwear are recommended when working outdoors.
Don’t operate the appliance when barefoot or wearing open sandals. Wear long pants to protect
your legs. Wear protective hair covering to contain long hair.
• NYLON LINE – Keep face, hands and feet clear of rotating cutting line at all times.
• THE ROTATING LINE PERFORMS A CUTTING FUNCTION – Use care when trimming around
screens, fences and desirable plantings.
• KEEP CHILDREN AWAY – All visitors should be kept at safe distance from work area.
• IMPORTANT WARNING – When being used stones, pieces of metal and other objects can be
thrown out at high speed by the line. The tool and guard are designed to reduce the danger.
However, the following special precautions should be taken:
• WARNING: Make sure that other persons and pets are at least 100 ft. (30.5m) away.
• WARNING: To reduce the risk of rebound (ricochet) injury, work going away from any
nearby solid object such as a wall, steps, large stone, tree, etc. Use great care
when working close to solid objects, and, where necessary, do trimming by hand.
• AVOID ACCIDENTALLY STARTING – Don’t carry appliance with finger on trigger.
• DO NOT FORCE THE APPLIANCE – It will do the job better and with less likelihood of a risk of
injury at the rate for which it was designed.
• USE THE RIGHT APPLIANCE – Do not use this appliance for any job except that for which it is
• DON’T OVERREACH – Keep proper footing and balance at all times.
• DAMAGE TO APPLIANCE – If you strike or become entangled with a foreign object, stop tool
immediately, check for damage and have any damage repaired before further operation is
attempted. Do not operate with a broken hub or spool.
• AVOID DANGEROUS ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS – Do not use electric appliances in damp
or wet locations. Don’t use the appliance in the rain.
• DO NOT OPERATE trimmer/edgers in gaseous or explosive atmospheres. Motors in these
appliances normally spark, and the sparks might ignite fumes.
• STORE IDLE APPLIANCES INDOORS – When not in use, appliances should be stored indoors in a
dry locked-up place out of reach of children.
• STAY ALERT– Watch what you are doing. Use common sense. Do not operate appliance when
you are tired.
• MAINTAIN TRIMMER WITH CARE – To reduce the risk of injury, follow instructions for lubricating
and changing accessories. Keep handles dry, clean, and free from oil and grease.
• CHECK DAMAGED PARTS – Check for alignment of moving parts, binding of moving parts,
breakage of parts, mounting, and any other condition that may affect its operation. Before further
use of the appliance, a guard or other part that is damaged should be repaired or replaced by an
authorized service center unless otherwise indicated elsewhere in this manual.
• REMOVE BATTERY before servicing, cleaning or removal of debris from string trimmer.
• FOR HOUSEHOLD USE ONLY.
• KEEP GUARDS IN PLACE AND IN WORKING ORDER.
• KEEP HANDS AND FEET AWAY FROM CUTTING AREA.
• DO NOT CHARGE APPLIANCE IN RAIN OR IN WET LOCATIONS.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
Lock Off Button
Bouton de verrouillage
en mode hors tension
Botón del seguro
Hub & Spool
Moyeu et bobine
Cubo y carrete
Tomas de aire
1/8” of line
3 mm (1/8 po) de fil
3 mm (1/8”) de línea
Interrupteur à détente
BEFORE RETURNING THIS PRODUCT
FOR ANY REASON PLEASE CALL
IF YOU SHOULD EXPERIENCE A PROBLEM
WITH YOUR BLACK & DECKER PRODUCT,
BEFORE YOU CALL, HAVE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AVAILABLE, CATALOG No., TYPE
No., AND DATE CODE (e.g. 0130M). IN MOST CASES, A BLACK & DECKER REPRESENTATIVE
CAN RESOLVE YOUR PROBLEM OVER THE PHONE. IF YOU HAVE A SUGGESTION OR
COMMENT, GIVE US A CALL. YOUR FEEDBACK IS VITAL TO BLACK & DECKER.
• Charge battery for 9 hours before first use. For more information see
“CHARGING THE POWER PACK”.
• The guard must be installed before trimming - if not, the motor will overheat, and
void your warranty.
• To operate the trimmer, the lock off button must first be pushed in, so the trigger can
• When replacing the line, use only 0.065” diameter ROUND line - otherwise the unit
may not function properly.